Samlex SAM Series Off-Grid Inverter
Modified Sine Wave
1000 Watt, 12 VDC / 115 VAC
Manufacturer Part Number: SAM-1000-12
Modified sine wave AC-DC power inverters are ideal for powering office equipment, television, power tools and lighting systems from your car, truck, boat, RV, solar system, or battery.
SAM Series low interference, high efficiency modified sine wave DC-AC inverters convert 12 VDC to 115 VAC at an output frequency of 60 Hz.
Input Voltage ||
Output Voltage ||
Fuse Rating ||
10.5 to 15.0 (+/- 0.5) VDC||
115 VAC ||
250 x 180 x 59 mm ||
1000 Watts ||
- USB charging port: 5 VDC, 500 mA
- Compact design with cigar lighter plug included
- Load controlled cooling fanv
- Low battery input alarm
- Universal protection circuit: thermal, battery, overload, short circuit, earth fault
- Soft start technology
- Cool surface technology
- Power save mode
- Low interference technology
||Battery System Voltage
|| 12 VDC
|Nominal Input Voltage
|| 12.5 VDC
|Input Voltage Range
|| 10.5 to 15.0 (+/- 0.5) VDC
|Input Current at Continuous Power
|| 90.5 A to 93.5 A
|Input Current at No Load
|| 0.5 A to 0.6 A
||Output Voltage Wave Form
|| Modified Sine Wave
|| 115 VAC
|Output Voltage Regulation
|| +10% / - 2%
|| 60 Hz +/- 5%
|Output Power, Continuous (Resistive Load)
|| 1000 W
|Output Power, Surge (< 1 Sec, Resistive Load)
|| 2000 W
|Peak Efficiency (At 50% of Continuous Power)
|USB Charging Port
|| Not available
- Home appliances
- Power tools
- Office and portable equipment
- Industrial control equipment
- Renewable energy solutions – Solar/AC UPS
Pure Sine Wave vs. Modified Sine Wave Inverters
What is a Pure Sine-wave Inverter?
The output voltage of a sine-wave inverter has a sine wave-form like the sine wave-form of the mains / utility voltage. In a sine wave, the voltage rises and falls smoothly with a smoothly changing phase angle and also changes its polarity instantly when it crosses 0 Volts.
What is a Modified Sine-wave Inverter?
In a modified sine wave, the voltage rises and falls abruptly, the phase angle also changes abruptly and it sits at 0 Volts for some time before changing its polarity.
What are the advantages of Pure Sine-wave inverters?
- The output wave-form is a sine-wave with very low harmonic distortion and clean power like utility supplied electricity
- Inductive loads like microwaves and motors run faster, quieter and cooler
- Reduces audible and electrical noise in fans, fluorescent lights, audio amplifiers, TV, fax and answering machines
- Prevents crashes in computers, weird print outs and glitches in monitors
Which devices will not function properly from a Modified Sine-wave Inverter?
Any device that uses a control circuitry that senses the phase (for voltage / speed control) or instantaneous zero voltage crossing (for timing control) will not work properly from a voltage that has a modified sine wave-form. Also, as the modified sine wave is a form of square wave, it is comprised of multiple sine waves of odd harmonics (multiples) of the fundamental frequency of the modified sine wave.
For example, a 60 Hz. modified sine wave will consist of sine waves with odd harmonic frequencies of 3rd (180 Hz), 5th (300 Hz.), 7th (420 Hz.) and so on. The high frequency harmonic content in a modified sine wave produces enhanced radio interference, higher heating effect in motors / microwaves and produces overloading due to lowering of the impedance of low frequency filter capacitors / power factor improvement capacitors.
Some examples of devices that may not work properly with modified sine wave and may also get damaged are given below:
- Laser printers, photocopiers, magneto-optical hard drives
- The built-in clocks in devices such as clock radios, alarm clocks, coffee makers, bread-makers, VCR, microwave ovens etc may not keep time correctly
- Output voltage control devices like dimmers, ceiling fan / motor speed control may not work properly (dimming / speed control may not function)
- Sewing machines with speed / microprocessor control
- Transformer-less capacitive input powered devices like (i) Razors, flashlights, night-lights, smoke detectors etc (ii) Re-chargers for battery packs used in hand power tools. These may get damaged. Please check with the manufacturer of these types of devices for suitability
- Devices that use radio frequency signals carried by the AC distribution wiring
- Some new furnaces with microprocessor control / Oil burner primary controls
- High intensity discharge (HID) lamps like Metal Halide lamps. These may get damaged. Please check with the manufacturer of these types of devices for suitability
- Some fluorescent lamps / light fixtures that have power factor correction capacitors. The inverter may shut down indicating overload