MorningStar ProStar 15 Amp 12/24 Volt PWM Charge Controller
Manufacturer Part Number: PS-15
Morningstar’s ProStar is the world’s leading
mid-range solar controller for both professional
and consumer applications. This second
- Adds new features and protections using highly advanced technology
- Provides longer battery life and improved system performance
- Sets new standards for reliability and self-diagnostics
- Versions available: 15 or 30 amp 12 / 24 or 48 volt negative or positive ground
- Estimated 15 year life
- PWM series battery charging (not shunt)
- 3-position battery select: gel, sealed
- Very accurate control and measurement
- Jumper to eliminate telecom noise
- Parallel for up to 300 amps
- Temperature compensation
- Tropicalization: conformal coating, stainless steel fasteners & anodized aluminum heat sink
- No switching or measurement in the grounded leg
- 100% solid state
- Very low voltage drops
- Current compensated low voltage
- LEDs indicate system status and various faults
- Capable of 25% overloads
- Remote battery voltage sense terminals
|Rated Solar Current ||15 Amps|| 30 Amps ||15 Amps |
|Rated Load Current|| 15A ||30A ||15A |
|System Voltage ||12/24V|| 12/24V|| 48V |
|Temp. Comp. (mV/°C)* ||– 30mV|| – 60mV|| – 120mV|
|Accuracy ||40mV ||60mV ||80mV|
|Min. voltage to operate ||8V ||8V ||15V|
|Self-consumption ||22mA|| 25mA ||28mA|
|LVD current coefficient** ||– 20mV|| – 40mV|| – 80mV|
|Charge algorithm ||PWM, constant voltage|
|Operating temperature|| – 40°C to + 60°C|
- Short-circuit — solar and load
- Overload — solar and load
- Reverse polarity
- Reverse current at night
- High voltage disconnect
- High temperature disconnect
- Lightning and transient surge protection
- Loads protected from voltage spikes
- Automatic recovery with all protections
- Night Disconnect: The solar array automatically disconnects at night to prevent
reverse current leakage from the battery.
- Battery Sense: Good battery performance requires accurate charging. Voltage drops
in the battery power cables can distort the battery charging. The Sense wires
eliminate the voltage drops for optimized charging.
- Temperature Compensation: Four control setpoints (25°C reference) are
compensated for temperature (PWM regulation, float, equalization, high voltage
disconnect). The charging is compensated by –5 mV/°C /cell (–30mV/°C for a 12V
battery). Compensation is limited to minus 30°C.
- Remote Temperature Probe: An optional probe is available to measure temperature
at a location away from the controller. This requires soldering 2 wires to the ProStar
- Digital meter
A precision 3-digit digital meter will continuously display battery voltage, solar current, and the load current. The meter automatically scrolls through these 3 displays. The 3 red LEDs will indicate which parameter is being displayed.
The digital meter will operate from –30°C to +85°C. The values displayed are calibrated
electronically in production and are accurate to within a few percent. Please note, however,
that if the Battery Sense is not connected, the voltage displayed will be in error by the voltage drops in the battery wires.
- Highly accurate voltage and current display
- Low self-consumption (1 mA)
- Includes manual disconnect button
- Displays 5 different protection functions
and disconnect conditions
- Self-diagnostics (self-test) provides a
comprehensive test of the ProStar —
- Displays 9 different controller status
parameters, including temperature
- Displays detected faults
- Positive ground
- Remote temperature probe
An optional remote temperature probe can be soldered to the ProStar assembly at
any time. The standard cable length is 25 ft (7.6 m), and this can easily be extended
to 100 ft (30 m) or longer. The 2 probe wires are soldered to the main board
assembly between the temperature sensor and the green LED, at "J12".
Optimized Battery Charging
The ProStar has 4 stages of charging to provide
increased battery capacity and life. See the diagram below:
- Recharging with 100% of available solar energy.
- PWM constant-voltage regulation to prevent heating and excessive battery gassing.
Pulse charging to restore full battery capacity.
- Float: After battery is fully recharged, ProStar reduces to a float or trickle charge. The
transition depends on battery history. A load that exceeds available solar output will
return ProStar to the PWM mode.
- Equalize: A boost charge that depends on elapsed time and battery history. Flooded
cells receive a vigorous equalization, sealed batteries a smaller boost to bring
uneven cells into balance and extend the battery life. Gel cells are not equalized.
Battery Voltage Setpoints*
The Battery Type rotary switch allows selection of 1 of 3 charging algorithms. These are broadly
defined as the following battery types as noted on the lower label:
- Gel: Some gel and other battery types recommend lower regulation voltages and
no equalization. This setting regulates to 14.0V (for a 12V battery).
- Sealed: AGM, "maintenance free" and some types of gel batteries. Regulates to
14.15V (12V battery) with 14.35V boost charging.
- Flooded: Vented cells that require water to be added. Regulates to 14.4V with
14.9V and 15.1V equalizations (12V battery).
|Gel ||Sealed|| Flooded|
|Regulation Voltage ||14.0|| 14.15|| 14.4|
|Float|| 13.7 ||13.7 ||13.7|
|Equalization ||n/a|| 14.35|| 14.9/15.1|
|Load Disconnect ||11.4|| 11.4 ||11.4|
|Load Reconnect ||12.6 ||12.6 ||12.6|
|Note: values are for 12V. Use 2X for 24V and 4X for 48V.|
ProStar Model Comparison:
|Standard:|| This item is included.|
|Yes:|| This item is compatible, but not included.|
|No:|| This item is not compatible.|
- The ProStar uses stainless steel fasteners, an anodized heat sink, and conformal
coating to protect from harsh conditions. However, for acceptable service life
extreme temperatures and marine environments should be avoided.
- The ProStar prevents reverse current leakage at night, so a blocking diode is not
required in the system.
- The ProStar is designed to regulate ONLY solar (photovoltaic) power. Do not connect
it to any other type of power generator. Do not attempt to regulate a wind turbine.
However, other power sources can be connected directly to the battery.
- The connector terminals will accept a maximum wire size of AWG #6 /16 mm2
(solid/multistrand) or AWG #8 / 10 mm2 (fine strand). Use a flathead insulated
screwdriver, and torque tightly up to 35 in-lb.
- Fuses or DC disconnects may be required in the system. These protection devices
are not part of the ProStar controller.
- The Solar, Battery, and Load negative terminals are all connected together inside the
ProStar per UL recommendations. No switching or measurement is done in the
negative current path.
- For positive ground versions, the Solar, Battery and Load POSITIVE
terminals are connected together inside the ProStar. The positive system
conductor must be properly grounded. Make sure the upper label of the
ProStar indicates "Positive Ground" above the version number to confirm
this is a positive ground ProStar controller.
Warranty: Five year warranty period. Contact Morningstar for complete terms.